I am very traditional when it comes to stroganoff recipes, but this might be my new favorite version.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 - 40 minutes
3 Tbls Olive oil
3 Chicken Breast cut into ¼"- ½" strips
1 tsp Fiesta Seasoning
1 small onion diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cloves of minced or pressed garlic
2 Tbls butter
2 tbls flour
1-1/4 cup chicken stock
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 Tbls Worcestershire
1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat, add chicken breast season with Fiesta Seasoning. Cook until thoroughly cooked. Remove from pan onto a plate leaving as much fat as possible.
- If needed, add enough oil to make about 2 tablespoon. Cook onions until translucent and mushrooms are tender. Stir in garlic a few minutes before onions and mushrooms are finished. Remove the onions and mushrooms; add to same plate as the chicken.
- Melt butter and stir in flour until smooth and frothy. I like to cook it a bit longer to give the butter and flour a richer color and taste, just be careful not to burn it. Add chicken stock and stir until thickened.
- Stir in the cayenne pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Add the chicken, onions, and mushrooms and cook through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Serve over egg noodles or rice.